This is one of my all-time favorite recipes. The flavors beautifully compliment pork or chicken but the leftovers are also good cold after the flavors have blended. I eat this all winter. Originally posted in 2006 with Weight Watchers points. Updated now with nutritional info calculated at MyFitnessPal.com.
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced, with pieces quartered
2 apples, cored and thinly sliced with pieces quartered (use a tart firm apple)
2 tsp finely chopped crystalized ginger
3/4 C. fresh cranberries
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 C. thawed frozen apple juice concentrate
2 Tb. packed dark brown sugar
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 C. water
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8″ square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange half of the sweet potatoes in the baking dish; top with half of the apples; sprinkle 1/2 of cranberries, then half the ginger and half the salt. Repeat layer.
2. In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the juice concentrate, brown sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves and water. Pour over the potatoes. Cover and bake 45 min. Remove cover and bake, uncovered, until tender, bubbling and lightly browned, about 15 min. longer.
Yield: 6 servings
Adapted from: Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook
– Can use powdered ginger instead of crystallized, just sprinkle liberally over each layer
– Leave apple peels on for less trouble and more nutrition
– Remaining thawed juice concentrate can be returned to freezer in a plastic container. It won’t completely refreeze, will be sort of slushy, but that makes it handy to use again if you make this again. You’ll want to!