Here are a couple of apple recipes from Arlene, my Boston WW leader. Now’s the time to give them a try – go apple picking first or just stop at a farmers market and stock up with a variety.
Baked Apple Slices
4 Servings / 1 point / CORE
Put these tasty treats in a bag and go. Easy fruit on the run!
2 small apple(s), Red Delicious or Gala, sliced paper-thin or one medium apple
1 Tbsp sugar .. use splenda and it is a CORE recipe
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (not wax paper).
- Place apple slices in a single layer on paper; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 2 hours. Cool on wire rack and serve.
Here’s my recipe for fantastic baked apples.
4 medium sized Cortland apples (these are the best baking apples)
sweet n’ low brown sugar or regular brown sugar
1/4 cup raisins or chopped dates
- Core each apple, but do not core all the way through, leave the bottom core intact.
- Peel about 1 1/2 inch around the core opening on top, so top of apple shows white.
- Fit all 4 apples in a microwave safe dish so the apples fit standing upright.
- Put 1 inch of water in the bottom of the dish.
- Put about 4-5 raisins or pieces of chopped dates into each cored apple.
- Sprinkle inside of each apple with a little sweet n’ low brown sugaror 1/4 tsp. of regular brown sugar
- Sprinkle the top of each apple (the peeled part) with cinnamon
Cover with plastic wrap. Vent wrap by poking about 4-5 holes in wrap
Cook on high for about 4 minutes. Be careful to check each apple. Some will cook faster than others. Insert a fork to see if each apple is cooked through but not mushy. You may need to remove one apple that is cooked and then put the others back in the microwave for another minute or so. Watch them carefully or you could end up with applesauce.
They are great served warm, cold from the fridge or at room temperature.
One point each apple. On FLEX or CORE/if you do not use raisins or dates and sprinkle with popcorn after they are baked/it is CORE
Easy, easy Applesauce
Put two cups of water in a medium sauce pan to simmer. Core 8-10 apples (Gala, Macs, Cortlands, almost all apples are yummy as applesauce). Chunk them and put them in simmering water. Leave the skin on, it’s good fiber. Simmer about 20 minutes until apples are tender. Add Splenda to taste. Sprinkle with cinnamon, and mix well. Apple should have fallen apart and now look like applesauce.You will have made about 10-15 cups of applesauce. Eat hot, warm, room temperature or cold.One point per cup/this is CORE.
Serves 4 / Points 1 /This is CoreIngredients:
4 Rome Beauty Apples (but Cortlands work very well, too 🙂
1 Can Diet Black Cherry Soda
Cinnamon & Splenda mixture
- Core apples.
- Place in casserole dish.
- Pour entire can of soda over apples.
- Sprinkle cinnamon & Splenda over apples.
- Bake in pre-heated 375 degree oven for 40-45 minutes (or until apples are tender).
- Serve warm, hot or cold.
- Optional: Serve with fat free cottage cheese, ice cream or frozen yogurt, but adjust points accordingly.