I’ve been playing with recipes for risotto and concocted something I really like based on Farah’s recipe over at Cooking Jar. I made a few changes but nothing huge – reduced butter from 4 TB to 3 TB, added a large sprig of fresh thyme, used reduced-sodium broth instead of regular, and doubled the parmesan cheese. Oh, and I steamed frozen peas to add instead of using canned. Actually, I added peas and carrots because that’s what was in the freezer, but that wasn’t planned.
Oh, and I made this in my new 4-qt Crockpot. Perfect size!
Makes 8 servings.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz. portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot/ 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 cups Arborio rice
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 cup peas (frozen peas, steamed)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter and cook mushrooms, shallots and garlic over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until mushrooms have browned and liquid has evaporated
- Add in rice, stirring to coat for 2 minutes
- Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray and add rice mixture
- Pour in broth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add sprig of thyme.
- Stir to combine and cook on high for 1 hour 30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed
- Once it’s cooked, remove thyme. Stir in peas and cheese and mix well
- Dish and serve hot